Sunday, November 6, 2011

Commissioned Officer

I remember the day I got the call from the recruiter.  It was late March, 2010, I was working at the Post Road Gate with Jennifer Stevenson.  It was my hour on traffic, but it was later in the afternoon so it was pretty slow.  When my phone rang and i saw it was SFC Hill and was inbetween cars so I took the call. 

All i heard was "You made it, Ma'am" .... I started freaking out.  Jumping up and down.  Crying.  All my hard work, all those nights staying up late doing homework, all my sweat... tears...all those months waiting to hear a yes or no... BAM. I made it.  I just kept saying "I did it, I did it, I did it!!!!"

I told SFC Hill I'd have to call him back for the details once I calmed down.  Jenn had to take over traffic for me... I was too hysterical.

TJ was deployed to Japan at the time... so it took me a little while to get ahold of him.  I remember the phone call tho, all I could say still was "I did it, i did it, I did it!!" all awhile crying into the phone.  i finally got out to him exactly what I had done.

I had become an officer.

The next day I went with SFC Golden and MAJ Valiquette to the recrutier's office to swear in and finalize all the paperwork.  I had never been so proud of myself. 



I didn't know that day exactly what my commission would mean to my life and to my family.  I didn't know how hard I would have to work, that it was just the beginning of a long hard road ahead. 

Since that day I've lost more than 30 lbs.  I've graduated from BOLC down in San Antonio Texas.  I became the XO for MAJ V at the 1984th.  i was the OIC of home station AT.  Got promoted to 1LT... And now I'm the Medical OIC for the deploy/redeploy station at Schofield Barracks Hawaii.

Shortly after returning home from 2 and a half months of BOLC, I've been sent away from my family again this time for a year.  And it sucks.  I'm so proud of all I've accomplished... but it all sucks at the same time. 

I hope someday Corbin knows this is all for him.  I hope someday he's proud of his mother... for all her sacrifices.



No comments:

Post a Comment